TAMU-CC Academic Advising Committee Agenda
Spring 2012, 4/27/2012, Time 11:00 am, Conrad Blucher Institute Conference Room
- William Bernsen, Chair
- Brandi Lowe, Vice Chair
- Sheila Steffenson
- Noela Garza
- Ken Gold
- Keith McNease
- Brian Autio
- Davey Edwards
- Tim Alford
- Mike Beavers
- Jack Avis
- Dan Stone
Early Meeting (11:00)
- Proposed amendments to bylaws
- New member nominations
- 2012 spring member reappointments (5)
Call to Order (±12:30) – Welcome and introductions
- Approval of the 2011 fall regular meeting minutes
- Unfinished Business
- Committee matters (10-15m)
- Action items from early meeting
- Amendments to bylaws
- New member elections – by ballot
- 2012 spring member reappointments
- Officer reelections – both officers have agreed to continue at the committee’s discretion
- Action items from early meeting
- GISSO report (as available, 10-15m)
- Membership status
- Meeting attendance
- GISSO activities
- Student concerns/requests/feedback
- Brief university updates (10-15m)
- on the closing of University of Houston program
- on the status of CBI Endowed Chair
- on student project presentation notice and evaluation
- on enrollment
- Discuss offering surveying courses online for Fall 2012 (20-30m)
- Presentations (60-80m)
- Final thoughts and comments (10m)
- Adjournment at 2:30 – 3:15
Make other requests in comment section below, or email the chair
- Spring 2012 – Sheila Steffenson, Mike Beavers, Brandi Lowe, Jack Avis, Dan Stone
- Spring 2013 – Nola Garza, Ken Gold, Davey Edwards, Tim Alford
- Spring 2014 – William Bernsen, Brian Autio, Keith McNease
Agenda Item request and presentation update from Dee today:
Discuss offering surveying courses online for Fall 2012, one year sooner than originally planned; particularly concerning the lab portion of the courses.
The following courses will be presented to the AAC at the April meeting:
GISC 1470 Geospatial Systems 1 by Rick Smith
GISC 2470 Geospatial Plane Spatial Measurement I by Stacey Lyle
GISC 3412 Geospatial Plane Spatial Measurement II by Peter Kuntu-Mensah
GISC 4335 Geospatial Systems III by Lucy Huang
The items to be covered are:
3. How course fits the flow-chart
4. End of Course Memos
Each professor is to present 2 slides.
Will the following items be incorporated into the presentations?
From the 2010 Fall Minutes under Agenda Items:
Request demonstration of course curriculum on boundary reconstruction, baseline surveying and construction surveying?
Lengthy discussion was held on this issue. Dr. Lyle addressed this by suggesting that the board members might like to see student portfolios, labs, tests, etc. showing how this is being included in our courses. Also discussion was held on adding to the request the showing of ethical and technical standards as a side issue. All board members were encouraged to read the syllabi that are now posted on the web and Billy demonstrated where those syllabi are found. This will give each member of the Board a broader idea of what is taught. If any questions or concerns are found, members were encouraged to post them on the AAC website or contact the professor directly. Once these are reviewed, further discussion can be held at the Spring meeting if necessary.
ACTION: In Spring 2011, or at the earliest convenience thereafter, the GISC faculty and selected students will present an hour long presentation on how this is covered in classes to the AAC Board. Internship students should be included in this process as well.
From the 2011 Fall Minutes under Unfinished Business:
ACTION: Discussion was held and a decision was made to have a presentation for the Spring AAC meeting. In this presentation the Board requested that one course from each level give a 15 minute presentation showing the ECM, samples of student work, and then having students from each course attending so the Board could get input directly from the students.
Please note that the meeting announcement says 11:00am for the meeting, which is for the early meeting for committee members only. The public is invited to attend the official meeting, which will be called to order around 12:30.